Last Wednesday The Tings Kids returned from Jiri after rebuilding Class rooms.

The Art of making things happen.

After having read and posted this photo story from our guest bloggers Chirstoffer, David & Coco I can’t help thing about our crazy life.

Friday I used Adytia Arial’s art opening in Denmark as an excuse to blog about our Art@Tings projects.

Yesterday I blogged about Something-Anything-Nothing – the art exhibition by Sudeep Balla & Shraddha Shrestha.

And now I post this fantastic story from the Tings Kids about their rebuilding of classrooms in Jiri. In case you don’t remember how the situation was there – read this one.

As you can see from the Kid’s photo story below their achievement in Jiri is as also a piece of art.

Being involved in three very different projects in three very different locations and in the same week is also a kind of art.

… and tomorrow we have investor meeting in Copenhagen about Tings Tea Lounge II. 🙂

Buddha knows how I ended up doing this kind of work… (can you call it work?)



The Tings Kids go to Jiri


Santosh, Mithun’s older brother, Christoffer, David and I left Kathmandu in the early morning to help rebuilding a school in a village 45 minutes from Jiri.

Like many other villages, the infrastructures were badly damaged and the villagers struggle to rebuild, due to the monsoon and the work they have to do in the fields.



Before even starting the rebuilding process, our first mission was to find all the materials needed, such as cement, gravel and sand, and also find a way to convey them to the village.

The most challenging part wasn’t to find the material, but to find transportation. Most of the trucks and tractors in Jiri were hired for other projects around Jiri.

Thankfully, Santosh is from there and knows people who could help us, so we made our first trip down the village with 15 sacks of cement.



This is what’s left from the old school.

Every time we saw a destroyed classroom, we couldn’t help but think how lucky that the EQ happened on a Saturday, as the kids are off.

To act quickly, the villagers had decided to build the new school on another location. It takes a lot of time, and manpower, to remove all the stones and clear the area to rebuild.



It wasn’t easy to find labor to help us.

At this time of the year, most villagers are busy in the field and it is difficult to gather enough people, because if they don’t take care of their crops now, they will hardly have something to eat next year.

And many young and strong Nepalis are currently working abroad, so we were left with a small group of people who could do the job. But doesn’t matter how hard it was, they were eager to help and rebuild the school, for the sake of their children.



Everybody put the shoulder to the wheel to help the workers.

Before starting to apply the layer of concrete that would become the school’s floor, we had to dig the foundation and lay stones on the ground.

The rocks we used were recycled from a building that had fallen down.



Once they were done with the layer of stone, it was time to get gravel from Jiri and start to make the floor.

Due to heavy rainfall, we encountered some difficulties to get all the material at once.

But nothing is impossible if you really put your heart and it, and after only a day or two, we were able to start mixing the cement to the gravel and the sand, and build the foundations.



With the help of the workers, Christoffer and David, along with Santosh, went back to Jiri to buy more sacks of cement and gravel.

We wanted to build foundations that would last at least a good few years, and for that, it was very important to respect the correct ratio of cement-sand-gravel.

It looks like the boys had a lot of fun riding a tractor through the muddy mountains roads!



We felt really happy when the first classroom was done.

It was a great to see the job so well done, and knowing that we were part of it.

After the monsoon, the kids will be able to go back to school and not to worry about getting their feet dirty.



Because we were working so hard to get everything done on time, it was important we could also chill and enjoy some chyang and tongba.

Both are local drinks made out of fermented millet. Along with that, we enjoyed a night of Nepali music and dal bhat.



Thanks to this great team, we were able to accomplish our mission and get most of the work done.

They all worked really hard, from early in the morning, to carry sacks of cement, gravels and sand, and to finish the floor of three classrooms.



We were not the only ones who were really happy about the school being rebuilt!

Those kids were glad to have a new school and to be able to start studying again!



It is not a real trip in the village without a small ceremony and a speech at the end.

This time, we were not covered of tikka,  like when we were in Muchok, but instead, we were given those beautiful silky scarf called katha, as a mark of respect.

Even if we were glad to go back to Kathmandu and have a hot shower, it was a bit difficult to leave and say goodbye.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s